“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.”- Moorish proverb

Monday 2 February 2009

My 14 - Tip of Borneo

"When I admire the wonder of a sunset or beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948); Indian Philosopher and Independence fighter.

Tanjung Simpang Mengayau
Kudat, Sabah

I admit that I didn't had a chance to travel around Sabah for the 3 months when I first started my housemanship. Lack of fund (my first pay-roll was 3 months after start working!), not enough time and did not possessed own transport were my excuse.


From left : locals come here usually for fishing; friends from HQE.


From left : sunset from Tanjung Simpang Mengayau; it seems Raja and Dilla trying to get best angle for the sunset photo.

The first place that I've visited in Sabah was Kudat. Situated at the north of Sabah, Kudat was previously a capital for British North Borneo. Founded by A H Everett on December 7, 1881 the capital was later moved to Sandakan in view of multiple attacks by Bajau, Sulu and Iranun pirates.
Bronze glob that located in Tanjung Simpang Mengayau, marks the location at latitude 7N and longitude 116E. A map featuring the island of Borneo is embossed in bronze and laid on a flat surface at an angle with inscriptions to mark the Tip of Borneo.

Kudat is 178km or more than 2 and half hours from Kota Kinabalu. It is famous for Tanjung Simpang Mengayau - the northernmost tip of Borneo; Kudat Marina & Golf Resort - the oldest golf club in Borneo and Rungus traditional longhouse.



Pictures above showed beautiful rock formations with erosion of wind and wave towards the land of Tanjung Simpang Mengayau.

Guess Who?

No comments:

“All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784); English essayist, lexicographer, biographer and poet.