“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.”- Moorish proverb

Sunday 1 February 2009

My 13 - Land Below The Winds

Today marks 30 months from the 1st day I started my work as a medical officer.It's one of the most challenging work in the world - if you ask me, considering you at most of your time dealing with people who asked your experts with their problem. It's not just medical / health problem, but it involved problems as the whole human itself which includes family, financial, religious, etc.

I'm a UKM MD graduated in 2006, finished my housemanship training in Queen Elizabeth Hospital + Maternity and Child Likas Hospital. It's a tough year but I always remind myself that my work is noble. All the obstacles that I managed get trough made me a holistic-approach doctor.
Since in 6 weeks time I'll coming back to Kota Kinabalu to conquer Mt Kinabalu - the 5th highest point in SEA at the height of 4,095 mt. I really regret that I haven't climbed Mt Kinabalu while staying there but I more than happy to be back in Kota Kinabalu.

So - guys, I'll share some of my experince in the Land Below The Wind from today till the mid of March.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kota Kinabalu
Commissioned on 14th September 1957
By Countess of Perth and then Minisyer of Colonial Land Affairs - the Earl of Perth


In front is the old block consisted of old maternity and child ward on the ground floor (which replaced by neurosurgery and orthopaedic ward once it's shifted to Likas Hospital) and general medical ward on the 2nd and 3rd floor. The new block (at the back) built in 1981 with the cost of RM 20 million. It consisted of General Surgical, Operational Theatre, Orthopaedic, First Class and VIP ward, other major surgical division. However, the tower block (what we used to call) has declared not safe by JKR and IKRAM in 2008 as a sequence of multiple cracks and ceiling falls down. Guess, it will become part of Malaysian Health history as the hospital at risk of falling down.

No comments:

“All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784); English essayist, lexicographer, biographer and poet.