“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.”- Moorish proverb

Saturday 11 April 2009

Prologue - Months Before Mulu & Kinabalu

"On the pinnacle of success, man does not stand firm long enough."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832); German Playwright, Poet, Novelist and Dramatist.

GUNUNG MULU NATIONAL PARK,
MULU, SARAWAK

I had a call early of January this year from a friend. She's been telling that a few of my colleague from Sandakan, Sabah had planned a road trip from Sandakan to Mulu. What a journey! So, I didn't hesitate to join them, even I will departed from KL directly to Miri. There's goes half of the journey's fun. Really, a road trip from Sandakan(Sabah) - Ranau(Sabah) - Kota Kinabalu(Sabah) - Beaufort(Sabah) - Sipitang(Sabah) - Lawas(Sarawak) - Labu(Brunei) - Bangar(Brunei) - Bukok(Brunei) - Limbang(Sarawak) - Brunei - Miri Sarawak) : it's adventurous and, and, and; can't really described it. I've calculated, it required 7-8 checkpoints as it involved 3 different countries / states that have their own immigration.

Since I'm the only one from KL, across the South China Sea - I just flew there with airline. I waited them in Miri 2 days after the departed from Sandakan. A journey of 2 hours + that covered hundred miles compared to 2-days trip by land from Sandakan to Miri. I've cheated the geographical location. Hahaha.



Well Mulu is worth to visit. It's the earliest place that have been recognized as the World Heritage Site in Malaysia together with Kinabalu National Park in 2000. The place is well-known by the outsiders but not well promoted enough among Malaysian especially in Peninsular. It's like the jewel of Sarawak, rich with it biodiversity of flora and fauna and many more.

So, why should I miss the trip? I just prepared myself with nearly everyday jogging and work-out in gym for 2 months. Wanna make sure I'm fit enough to conquer both National Park. Really, it's crazy but yet excited.

From left : (standing) - Azi (As's younger sister), As, Hana, Haqul, Anuar, (sitting) - Me, Kay and Aslam

No comments:

“All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784); English essayist, lexicographer, biographer and poet.